The GPS tools plugin
Quantum GIS includes the “GPS Tools” plugin connecting Quantum GIS with Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers for example the Garmin devices. This feature offers
you the possibility to download or upload waypoints, routes and tracks.
Please enable the GPS tools plugin using Plugins → Plugin Manager.
Download from GPS receiver
- Connect your GPS device with the computer.
- Open the GPS plugin.
- Set the port to “com” or “usb”.
- Select the feature type.
- Enter a name for the output file and select a folder where you save your data.
- Enter a name for the layer.
- Afterwards the layer will be shown in Quantum GIS.
If you download or upload data from your GPS receiver, coordinates will automatically be reprojected from WGS84 /latitude, longitude to your custom spatial reference system and vice versa, respectivly. Now you may convert the gpx file to the format shape file for easy data transfer to different GIS software.
- Right click on the layer
- Enter a name for the shapefile (waypoints.shp) and choose a folder where you save the layer.